Friday, October 10, 2008

Familiarity

Two months ago, I felt that I was like a fish, swimming in a tank of glue. I decided to make a minor adjustment in my life and started going to school. I asked Sani for the locker keys, and transferred my books, notes, stationery to the graduate room.

I've been going to school everyday. And will be back by midnight to watch a bit of tv and then it's off to bed. A simple existence. I like it that way. The air feels less saturated when I wake up.

The canteen coffee is a tad acidic, but it's cheap. In fact, it's kind of turning into a regular comfort drink for me. I will fill up a plastic cup and bring it to the grad room every 3pm. I refuse to use the paper cup for environmental purposes.

I like familiarity.

I'm trying to catch up a bit on news now. I think news is important. I need to maintain my awareness of current affairs and not be overly drawn into the familiarity of reading philosophy and drinking acidic coffee. The recession seems bleak, but I think it should rebound by the second half of next year. I can try to pray that into being.

I'm thinking of making another minor adjustment in my life. Maybe I'll bring my camera along with me everyday. I need to capture a few memories. Maybe I'm afraid that I will lose the feeling of familiarity someday. Familiarity with friends, myself and with places. Even with items like leaves, tickets and benches. Photography serves that purpose for me now. Not visual memories, but emotional ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger