Thursday, September 06, 2007

Thought of the Day: Confidence

"Go your way; behold, I am sending you out as lambs in the midst of wolves... Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you." Luke 10:3, 19

Maybe I'm influenced by what I study, but I like to think how the wolves think. Not just in terms of missionary works per se, but in how this secular world operates in general; its culture, values, principles, rules, norms, embodied in bureaucracy, hierarchy, competition etc. Working out my salvation in fear and trembling involves a constant review of the world that I am born into, and the worldview that has been developed through how I have interacted with this society. But I think maybe the 'lamb' is a pretty dumb animal. It probably really doesn't think too much into the internal logic of the wolves community. Simplicity is not stupidity though, for the bible is pretty complex when I dwell into it as a form of literature, with its history, prose, poetry, parables etc. Living - by the Word - become an art. Living in a culture that overwhelms our aesthetic senses must take into consideration the Word which is full of human complexity; between God and Man, and within Man himself. My faculties and nerves are dead if I let this society take control of my hands to do the things that it wants me to do, through the ideas of 'rationality' and 'logic'. Art is dead without the Word. If the Word promises a sense of confidence in the midst of the wolves, it just might be possible to simplify life without stupefying it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger